Even here in Southern California it’s been somewhat chilly this Winter. I was in the mood for something warm and immediately I thought about Moroccan spices and how those would do the trick. Here’s a super simple recipe I threw together with spices and ingredients I already had in the fridge and cupboard.
Moroccan Chicken and Lentils with Quinoa
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 Tbs raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper + 1 drop black pepper essential oil (add another 1/4 – 1/2 tsp if you don’t have the essential oil)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 drop cinnamon essential oil, or 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 drop wild orange essential oil, or 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbs Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1 Tbs unrefined coconut oil
- 3/4 Cups dried cranberries (raisins work too)
- 2 1/4 – 2 1/2 Cups filtered water
- Stir in 2 cups water and all ingredients except quinoa to Crock-Pot
- Set Crock-Pot to high, cook for 1 – 1 1/2 hours (depending on your Crock-Pot) until chicken is mostly cooked through.
- Stir in 1 cup quinoa to Crock-Pot, cook about 25-30 minutes until quinoa is done. If the mixture becomes too dry while quinoa is cooking you may want to add more water in 1/4 cup increments. Check periodically to see if you need to add more water.
Serve with a Mediterranean-style salad (think feta cheese, raisins and EVOO & red wine vinegar) and enjoy! Serves 4.
Learn how to GET STARTED with ESSENTIAL OILS by filling out the form below.