Sometimes you just want a quick and easy dinner, am I right? But that doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice health for convenience. I love Mexican food, but that also doesn’t mean I have to sacrifice health for fried tostada goodness. I figured out you can bake soft corn tortillas to crisp them up and then add whatever toppings you want.
I was able to have these delicious oven-baked tostadas in my belly in less than 25 minutes! The coconut oil lends a tropical, fresh taste to the tostadas and the asparagus, while the Lime, Cilantro, and Black Pepper essential oils add flavor and therapeutic benefits to the guacamole. All I had in the fridge cheese-wise were slices of provolone, so I used two slices, chopped, but you may use your favorite type of cheese or whatever you have in your fridge (I promise it will be delicious even if it’s feta).
Have your favorite toppings pre-chopped, sliced, or however you like them and once the tostadas are done, have a tostada making party with your family. This is a simple and fun dinner you can make with your family tonight and it will take you less than 20 minutes to prepare!
Happy Friday! Here’s the recipe…
- 1 Tbs melted coconut oil (to drizzle over tortillas)
- 1 Tbs coconut oil (for pan roasting the asparagus)
- For the guacamole:
- 2 slices provolone cheese, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- Handful mixed salad greens
- 6 stalks organic asparagus
- Other suggested toppings:
- Cotija cheese
- Cooked black beans
- Roasted or boiled corn off the cob
- Cucumber, thinly sliced
- Refried beans
- Sauteed onions
- Sauteed or raw bell peppers
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Chopped tomatoes
- For crispy tostadas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Line a baking sheet with foil
- place 6 corn tortillas on lined baking sheet
- Melt 1 tbs coconut oil and drizzle over the corn tortillas
- turn tortillas over and drizzle more coconut oil on top
- Sprinkle tortillas with ground sea salt
- Place in oven for about 5 minutes, turn tortillas over and bake for another 5 minutes or until tortillas are crispy
- Sautee asparagus over medium heat in coconut oil, once they are browned, add 1 tsp sea salt and stir. Once asparagus is cooled, chop.
- Scoop avocado out of it’s peel with a spoon and place in small mixing bowl
- Using a fork, mash the avocado until it reaches your desired consistency
- Chop shallot and add to bowl
- Add essential oils, cumin, chili powder and lemon juice
- Stir until well combined
- Assemble tostadas. Add all of the ingredients you want for toppings. I suggest starting with a layer of the guacamole and building from there. If you are going to melt the cheese, wait to add the salad greens until afterwards. Place tostadas with the cheese under the broiler for a minute or two. Et voila!
Here are some health benefits of the essential oils in this recipe…
Lime – cold pressed from the rind, Lime has powerful cleansing properties, it’s mood & immune system boosting, great for calming and stress relief, and it’s supportive to the respiratory system.
Cilantro – steam distilled from the leaves off the coriandrum sativum plant, Cilantro helps to cleanse the body of heavy metals and it’s supportive to the digestive system.
Black Pepper – steam distilled from the unripened, sun-dried peppercorns, Black Pepper is a powerful digestive aid, helps to increase circulation, helps maintain healthy circulation, and boosts the immune system.
I only use 100% pure essential oils. For more information on the essential oils I choose to use in my cooking and for a calmer, happier, healthier life, click here.
Learn how to GET STARTED with ESSENTIAL OILS by filling out the form below.